Today’s memorial museum owes its existence to the initiative of employees of the refugee centre; former refugees and interested scholars. Shortly after the flow of refugees from East Germany came to a halt in July 1990, these groups began to collect objects, documents and other types of information about the lives of the refugees and the work once carried out at Marienfelde.
In October 1993, the group founded the Marienfelde Refugee Centre Museum Association. The aim of the association was to research the history of the refugee center and the inner-German movement of peoples between 1949 and 1990, and to document this history and make it accessible to a broad public. In 1994, the Association was legally recognized as a non-profit entity and became responsible for memorial site which opened with a small permanent exhibit.
After the large exhibition “Flight in Divided Germany” was opened successfully in 2005, the association entered into negotiations with sponsor representatives and the Berlin Wall Association, paving the way for the establishment of the Berlin Wall Foundation.
The association supports the work of the Refugee Centre Memorial and initiates its own projects in the area of its responsibility. The association and its members serve on a voluntary basis.
Notaufnahmelager Marienfelde e.V.
Kto.Nr.: 1002 699 008
BLZ 100 900 00